Melbourne, Aug 8: Fast bowler Mitchell Johnson is the new name added to the list of Aussie cricketers expressing apprehensions about security in Pakistan and remaining undecided about travelling to the strife-torn country for next month’s Champions Trophy.
The IIC had last month decided against shifting the tournament to any other country, after the PCB assured foolproof security for international players during the tournament from Sept 11-28.
Johnson said that he would wait for Cricket Australia’s final decision on the matter, but refused to say whether he would play in the eight-nation event next month if given a go-ahead by CA. “I still stick with Cricket Australia and the ACA. They still haven’t made a decision on Pakistan so until that time comes, we’ll see what happens,” the Dawn quoted Johnson as telling Aussie news agency ‘The Australian Associated Press’.
On being pressed on the issue and his stand in case CA gives a green signal, Johnson said “I think I’m going to wait until they say so and then make that decision on that day.”
Johnson said safety was of paramount importance to him no matter which country they play in. “We want to go over and play in safety, we want to make sure that we’re safe when we’re playing in any country, so it’s not just Pakistan, it’s any country,” Johnson said and added: “As long as we’re safe and we’ve been guaranteed that all the security measures are right and so and so, then there’s no reason why we can’t go.”
A number of Australian cricketers, including skipper Ricky Ponting, are apprehensive about going to Pakistan. (ANI)
- Hussey to captain Bushrangers after White's RCB move
- Serena asked to pay $100 admission fee on men’s ATP Tour
- Cricket Australia not to renominate Howard for ICC post, backs Kiwi cricket chief
- Shane Warne steps in as Liz Hurley’s ‘date’ at horse race event
- Glenn McGrath getting $250K-plus offers to sell wedding coverage rights