London, Jun 28 : Lewis Hamilton, who is leading this year’s drivers championship, has been caught up in a race-fix row as Fernando Alonso re-ignited their feud.
Hamilton finished second in the European Grand Prix despite being hit with a drive-through penalty for overtaking the safety car.
Alonso blamed his former McLaren teammate for the controversial move, as Hamilton was just in front of the Ferrari ace when Mark Webber crashed on lap nine.
The Brit overtook the safety car as it came out of the pits and zoomed clear of the pack while Alonso fell in behind, The Sun reports.
The move meant Hamilton was able to stay in second on the track despite the penalty - but the Spaniard dropped back to cross the line ninth.
Alonso said: “It’s a shame, not for us because this is racing, but for all the fans who came here to see a manipulated race. We were a metre off each other at the time. I did the normal thing which is to respect the rules and finished ninth. He didn’t respect them and finished second.”
Alonso’s Ferrari bosses issued a statement saying: “It’s a scandal. This could see Formula One lose credibility as it was seen around the world.” (ANI)
- Amanda Seyfried thinks 'life is too short' for stringent diets
- Supermodel Petra Nemcova unveiled as new face of 'Ultimo'
- Was New Bond girl's sex scene with co-star's hubby behind marriage split?
- Mila Kunis debuts svelte post-baby bod, says 'breastfeeding is great workout'
- 'Delighted' Zoe Saldana welcomes twins with hubby
- Simon Cowell slams Lily Allen's corruption blast
- Amy Schumer to host MTV Movie Awards 2015
- Arjun Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha promotes 'Tevar' at Radio Mirchi Studios in Mumbai