Wellington, Aug 7 : All rounder James Franklin has replaced Dean Brownlie in the New Zealand Test squad for their upcoming series against India.
Brownlie failed miserably during the Caribbean tour, and the selectors have decided to give Franklin another chance to cement his place in the Kiwi Test squad.
One of the most prolific batsmen on the domestic circuit, Franklin has never seriously threatened to translate that ability into runs at the Test level, where he averages 21.
The other change to the 15-man squad, which were beaten 2-0 by the West Indies, comes in the spin bowling department, where Franklin''s Wellington team-mate Jeetan Patel comes in for the injured Daniel Vettori, Stuff. co. nz reports.
Patel has not appeared at test level since New Zealand''s tour to Zimbabwe in November last year, but had another decent season for Wellington and has been playing county cricket in England for Warwickshire.
Indian-born leg spinner Tarun Nethula is the other slow bowler in the New Zealand side, who will be coached for the first time by Mike Hesson.
The first Test of the series begins on August 23. (ANI)
- Injured Vettori doubtful for New Zealand’s India tour
- Oz basketball player Cambage becomes first woman ever to ''slam-dunk'' at Olympics
- Thigh injury forces Vettori to sit out of second Test against Windies
- New Black Caps coach will be a Kiwi: Buchanan
- Oram says New Zealand’s ‘emphatic’ victory in third ODI huge confidence booster