Rio de Janeiro, Aug 21 - Former Brazil striker Adriano could make his long-awaited return to football within a month after being cleared by doctors to resume training.
Adriano underwent surgery for a second time on his left Achilles tendon in April and has been recuperating under the guidance of medical staff at his former club Flamengo, Xinhua reports.
Last week the club's president Patricia Amorim said a decision would be made on whether to sign the 30-year-old when he was fully fit.
But Adriano hinted a deal could be struck within days.
"The doctor has released me. I've fully healed. Now I just have to sign the contract," Adriano said Monday.
"I'm not going to predict when I will be back exactly but I hope to be playing again in a month.
"I should sort out the contract in the next couple of days. On Tuesday I will be training in uniform with the rest of the team."
Flamengo football director Zinho said club officials would meet with Adriano this week to discuss the striker's future.
"I still can't say if we are going to sign him. I will be calling his agent to discuss it further."
Adriano, once regarded as one of the world's top strikers, has been beset by injury and controversy in recent years.
He was released by Flamengo's Brazilian rivals Corinthians in March due to an alleged lack of commitment towards his recovery from injury.
The former Inter Milan and Roma forward helped Flamengo win the 2009 Brazilian Serie A championship with 19 goals from 31 matches.(IANS)