London, July 3 : The prized Olympics and Paralympic medals have been locked up in the Tower of London vaults.
According to the BBC, the 4,700 gold, silver and bronze medals, made at the Royal Mint in Llantrisant, near Cardiff, have been locked until required.
The Olympics medals were designed by artist David Watkins, and the Paralympics medals by jewellery artist Lin Cheung.
Rio Tinto, the mining company which has produced the metals for the medals, handed the medals to London Organizing Committee Chairman Lord Coe and they took them to the vaults.
The Olympic medal has a design featuring the Greek goddess of victory, Nike, on the front, stepping out of the Panathenaic stadium.
On the back, the River Thames, under the London 2012 logo, is intersected by shards.
The Paralympic medal has a section of one of Nike''s wings on the front and a depiction of the surface close to her heart on the other. (ANI)
- Raveena Tandon unveils latest issue of Savvy magazine in Mumbai
- Demi Lovato enjoys role model status
- Britney Spears admits to getting new beau
- Cara Delevingne earns 6,500 pounds per day!
- Rachel Bilson welcomes baby girl with beau Hayden Christensen
- Stephen Fry quits Twitter over safety concerns
- Singer sues Beyonce for $3m for ripping off song
- Robert Downey Jr. welcomes baby girl with wife Susan