After the shutting down of 199 mobile towers in locations near schools, hospitals and jails across Rajasthan, the telecom operators will soon be forced to shut down and remove mobile towers from near the heritage structures in the state.
A senior official from the telecom services department said that they were working on a plan to shut down and remove mobile towers that had been installed within the 100-metre area of heritage structures.
Speaking on the topic, the official said, "The heritage structures in state will be identified around which the mobile towers are working. Then, as per the orders, we will shut them down."
However, the official admitted that shutting down and removal of the mobile towers would create network problem for tourists visiting the heritage sites in the state.
The official added that they would start shutting mobile towers near heritage sites down as soon as they received orders of high court and state government to take the action.
Earlier on 31st of August, the Rajasthan High Court ordered telecom operators to remove all mobile towers from sites situated near schools, hospitals and jails within fifteen days. Mobile phone companies challenged the decision in the Supreme Court, but the apex court refused to stay the High Court's order.
As 199 mobile phone towers have already been shut down in the state, cellular operators are now mulling various possible options to fill the coverage gap for mobile phone users. The list of options includes urging the state and union government for legal respite, and sharing of towers on an immediate basis.
- Huge scope for improving Indian shale gas estimates: ONGC
- HPCL Visakha refinery suffers major fire due to short circuit
- No refills for multiple cooking gas connection holders from June 1
- REpower Systems bags cumulative orders 580 MW in 3 months
- DBT scheme for the LPG to be launched in 20 districts on June 1