London, Sep. 22 : Scotland Yard has advertised for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender police to guard the Queen.
According to the Daily Express, the Metropolitan Police wants officers from “special groups” to volunteer for armed duty at Windsor Castle and Balmoral.
Scotland Yard chiefs ordered the recruitment drive amid concerns that the Queen’s bodyguard does not have enough gay, bisexual and cross-dressing officers.
Former Metropolitan Police Commander John O’Connor condemned the move as “window dressing for the sake of political correctness”.
The latest recruitment drive is being carried out by the Yard’s SO14 Royalty Protection Branch.
SO14’s recruitment notice says it is looking for armed officers from all backgrounds to “deliver residential protection through a combination of fixed posts and mobile patrols.
“Successful officers can expect to work at London palaces or Windsor Castle and officers are required to perform tours of duty in Scotland.
“Applications are particularly welcomed from women, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and black and minority ethnic communities/people as these are under-represented within SO14.”
The notice adds: “Selection will be based solely upon merit.” (ANI)
- Decision on gas price revision taken under RIL’s coercion: Dasgupta
- Government to pay $8.1 billion fuel subsidy in fourth quarter
- Oil firms falls as government considers export parity pricing model
- Essar Oil to sign $1 billion financing co-operation deal with CDB
- ONGC may sell stakes in deep-water blocks to Shell