Karachi, June 14 : As the country mourns the death of the legendary Pakistani ghazal maestro, Mehdi Hassan, his family is making preparations for his funeral which will take place on June 15 after the Jumma prayers following the arrival of his two sons from the United States.
New Delhi, June 13 : The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, has expressed deep grief over the passing away of noted ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan.
Extending his condolences to the bereaved members of the noted Ghazal singer's family, Dr. Singh said Hassan brought the sub-continental Sufi sensibilities to life through his songs.
New Delhi, June 13 : Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan first mesmerised connoisseurs with his rendition of "Gulon main rang bhare", step one of a long musical journey that lasted five decades. The death of the artist, who gave voice to ghazals such as "Patta patta boota boota" and "Abke bicchde khwaabon mein mile", brings the curtains down on an era of lyricism, melody and poetry in light Hindustani classical music.
Islamabad, June 13 - India-born Pakistani ghazal "badshah" Mehdi Hassan, who had been ailing for the last few years, passed away at a private nursing home in Karachi of breathing complications. He was 84.
His son Arif confirmed the news, Geo TV said. "My father has been ill for the last 12 years but his year his condition had deteriorated itself," he said. (IANS)
Celebrity Birthday Wishes
Random Acidfree items
- Federer beats Raonic in Brisbane International final to secure 1,000th career win
- MS Dhoni calls curtains on Test career to focus on ODIs
- India trail Oz by 422 runs at end of day two as Smith's 192 guides hosts to gigantic 530
- Ronaldo voted world's No. 1 footballer by elite panel of 73 judges
- Emotional Warner dedicates 'greatest ever innings' to Hughes