Washington, Dec 26 : The Disney Channel had to pull out episodes of two of its series from airing after Demi Lovato blasted the network for making fun of eating disorders.
The former Disney starlet took to Twitter to complain about the Disney Channel series ‘Shake it Up’ included the joke, “I could just eat you up -- well if I ate.”
“I find it really funny how a company can lose one of their actresses from the pressures of an EATING DISORDER and yet still make jokes about that very disease,” Fox News quoted Lovato as writing.
“And is it just me or are the actresses getting THINNER AND THINNER?”
The former ‘Sonny with a Chance’ actress spent two months in an Illinois rehab facility in 2010 to deal with “emotional and physical issues,” including eating disorders and self-mutilation.
The network responded on Twitter, telling the 19-year-old star it was pulling the episode, as well as an episode of its series ‘So Random’, which was spun off from ‘Sonny with a Chance’ after Lovato left the show to enter rehab.
“We hear you and are pulling both episodes as quickly as possible and reevaluating them,” the Disney Channel’s Public Relations tweeted.
“It’s NEVER our intention to make light of eating disorders!” they wrote. (ANI)
Random Acidfree items
- Federer moves to second spot in ATP world rankings post Shanghai Masters win
- Ronaldo scores hattrick as Real thrash Deportivo La Coruna 8-2 in La Liga clash
- Gerrard's late penalty helps Liverpool pip Ludogorets Razgrad in CL fixture
- Leander Paes drops out of top 10 in latest rankings
- Murray disappointed with inconsistency post losing to Federer in Cincinnati quarterfinals