London, Jan 2 : New Year’s Eve performer Cee Lo Green changed John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ lyrics to include pro religion message, which left the fans furious.
The 37-year-old hip-hop artist was performing on live television when he changed the last words of lyrics ‘Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too,’ to ‘And all religion''s true’.
Broadcast before 2.304 million viewers of NBC’s New Year’s Eve with Carson Daly right before the ball dropped, Green’s change did not go unnoticed and attracted immediate criticism, the Daily Mail reported.
“People need to respect the very man that you''re trying to honor by playing his song,” New York musician Gary Heimbauer vented in a YouTube video 20 minutes after seeing the performance.
“You just changed his lyrics and completely reinvented the meaning of the song. That’s just one of the most arrogant things I’ve ever seen, especially to do when the whole world is watching on New Year’s Eve and John Lennon was just such an important person to New York City.”
“That was just horrible and I hope that there is some more outrage to that and not just my own,” Heimbauer added. (ANI)
Random Acidfree items
- Emotional Warner dedicates 'greatest ever innings' to Hughes
- Hamilton set to overtake Beckham as richest ever Brit sportsman
- 2016 Rio Olympics mascot is a bright yellow smiley-faced cat-like figure!
- Nadal set for return to court in Jan
- Pak claim series whitewash with 356-run win in second Test against Oz