Sydney, Nov 23 : Famous American TV series ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ is set to be turned into a new Hollywood movie, producers have announced.
The show, which tells of a teenage girl named Buffy who learns her destiny is to chase and kill the living dead, originated as a 1992, B-movie starring Kristy Swanson as Buffy and became a cult hit on video and DVD.
By the late 1990s, it had morphed into a widely-watched television program of the same name with Sarah Michelle Gellar.
The show made stars of Gellar, David Boreanaz, Alyson Hannigan and others, and it preceded the current round of hits with the venerable old genre, including the Twilight movies, ‘True Blood’ and ‘The Vampire Diaries’ on TV.
"There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character''s return to the big screen," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Charles Roven of producer Atlas Entertainment as saying.
"Details of the film are being kept under wraps, but I can say, while this is not your high school Buffy, she''ll be just as witty, tough, and sexy as we all remember her to be," Roven added.
He called the new movie a "re-imagining" of the slayer.
Atlas is a co-producer along with Vertigo Entertainment.
Warner Bros. will distribute. Whit Anderson is writing the screenplay.
However, cast members were not announced. (ANI)
Random Acidfree items
- Federer moves to second spot in ATP world rankings post Shanghai Masters win
- Ronaldo scores hattrick as Real thrash Deportivo La Coruna 8-2 in La Liga clash
- Gerrard's late penalty helps Liverpool pip Ludogorets Razgrad in CL fixture
- Leander Paes drops out of top 10 in latest rankings
- Murray disappointed with inconsistency post losing to Federer in Cincinnati quarterfinals